With just a modem, computer, an all important telephone and no clients, Matt only had 6 months to break even. After lots of phone calls and plenty of rejection, Storm12 landed its first job, which was to build an interactive college prospectus for Surrey University. After just three months, Matt managed to break even, and after the first few projects the ball started rolling…
- Storm12 was born!
- First job was to build an interactive college prospectus for Surrey University
- Storm12 managed to break even after just three months
- The business grew and acquired more clients
- Continued to focus on brand awareness and their excellent service to their clients
- Built website for Sony with the help of Ben Harvey (now Head of Web and Storm12 Director but a freelancer at the time)
- Built Bakers Garden Buildings first website
- Grew to four employees, acquired more clients such as Eurovia Ringway
- Expanded into second outbuilding and refurbished the barn
- Gained a couple more employees
- Established credibility in the market
- Installed Scalextric in the office!
- Storm rebrand - got rid of retro blue logo and replaced with sleek red and white branding
- Won two awards for climate change action
- Won WSCT business of the year award
- After several years of looking for a new office building to purchase, Matt heard that the doctors' surgery in Handcross was for sale (whilst at said surgery in the waiting room!)
- After months of Matt working weekends to revamp the new office, the team moved in! Shortly after, we had a huge opening party with over 100 people including the local mayor
- Storm12 completes 2000 projects!
The office (surgery) when we bought it!
The Storm12 office as of 2023!
- Ben joined as a shareholder, driving forward Storm12’s digital offering and becoming the Operations Director
- The web team expanded, hired a Senior Developer
- Raised money for St Catherine's Hospice - ran, cycled and swam 500 miles collectively as a team!
- Account management team expanded
- Storm12 grew to a team of 10!
- Gatwick Airport signed on as a client
- Storm12 took part in a 12 hour karting marathon and helps to raise over £6,000 for charity
- Storm rebranded and changed to Storm12 due to a similar business having the same name and to refresh and update the brand
- Storm12 took part in gdb’s charity sports challenge ‘It’s a Knockout’ where we competed in a number of wacky games and helped raise money for 13 local charities
- Thakeham Group signed on as a client
- Started The Marketing Club - a community of marketers and marketing specialists from the Marketing Network came together to offer marketers and sales managers valuable insight and advice
- Storm12 turned 21 years old!
- Won GDBA Brighter Thinking Award
- Covid-19 lockdowns meant all forms of traditional marketing stopped, but Storm12 overcame the challenge and focused on and improved upon its digital skills such as SEO and social media
Kim's lovely cat Mario supervising her whilst working from home
- Storm12 officially launched a digital department to sit alongside Marketing, Creative and Web
- Returned to 25% growth post recession
- New hirings brought Storm12 up to its highest employee count
- Changes were made to suit employees and provide a better work-life balance:
-Our working hours changed to slightly longer days Monday-Thursday, in order to have a 3.5 hour work day on Fridays
-Fun Fridays - new team building Fun Friday initiative launched: a team outing on the last Friday of every quarter
Fun Friday Activities
- The team grew even more in 2023
- Lots of exciting events!
- We welcomed Ellie, our new Digital Content Assistant
- In November we will introduce our new Office Manager, Sarah
- Several new clients signed on with Storm12, including Avtura, Keegans, DHA Planning and Wakefields Jewellers
- Storm12 was a finalist for the Gatwick Diamond Business Employer of the Year award!
Matt, Ben and Stefan at the Gatwick Diamond Business third annual Diamond Alumni VIP Lunch!
Ben and Alicja pesenting at the Gatwick Diamond Business October Seminar
Team meeting with tasty baked goods
Ben, Paul and Matt had the opportunity to present at The College of Richard Collyer Festival of Arts
A Fun Friday with the team, where we completed the Knottoosh Abbey Murder Mystery!
What has 2024 got in store?
Storm12’s 25th year is fast approaching (where on earth has 2023 gone?) and we are very excited for what's to come.
2024 has lots in store for our team and clients. We are looking forward to expanding our Digital Marketing department, launching our new SMEasy marketing service and of course continuing to enjoy our awesome team culture with away days, Fun Fridays and of course, lots of learning!
Back to Blogs